Friday, August 29, 2008

Nemo on the Move


Nemo is doing some strange things since his vitamin shots. Unfortunately, eating isn't one of them yet. He is wandering about more, not hiding as much when we are present, and doing his best to avoid his daily soaks. Yesterday I woke up to find him already in his tub staring at the humidifier trying to will it to start. He was patient while I started the mist for him. He took a long leisurely zen bath. It was so long he didn't have to soak yesterday in apparently the big scary tub.

This morning I was up earlier than usual. I had turned his light and mist on and tended to his food and water. Then I went into the living room to work on the computer. I heard a thump that sounded like a bug against the window which I shrugged off. Soon after I heard a steady thump...thump...thump. Recognizing the sound Nemo's shell makes when he walks along a wall, I leaned over the back of the sofa to see him trudging from one end to the other. The far end of the sofa is the only place there is no turtle or Pleo proofing.

He climbed over wires as if they were merely mild nuisances. I quickly cleared the stuffed animal giraffe away from his exit. He sauntered back into the living room after apparently circling the entire living room. Funny little turtle.

I was brave and opened up a can of nice meal worms for him yesterday. Nothing. and ewww. He did bask briefly today. Tonight he was lounging less than an inch from the heater. I'm guessing he was chilly? Whatever, at least he's more active. With as long as he has been somewhat dehydrated, I wouldn't be surprised if he needed a second round of shots. But he's getting some of his old spark back.

The photo was taken by Brian as Nemo tried to escape the vet's grasp last week. I just wanted to show it off even though it doesn't relate to this particular story.

No comments: