Tuesday, August 14, 2007

YouTube Debut Achieves Honors

I'm so proud. Two days ago, Nemo had crawled under the blanket around his basking log. If he goes into blankets, it usually means quiet nap time, although it was his first time hiding in the blanket of his log. He loves his basking log. I have photos of his "log time" on the Flickr website. You can tell he luxuriates in his spa activities. So I was very surprised after observing the last of his tail disappear under the log blanket to suddenly hear and see the log move--obviously by his head lifting it up and him pushing.

I don't have a camcorder but there is a setting on my digital camera for mini movies. I quickly grabbed it and caught about 20 seconds of Nemo moving the log for the second time before apparently deciding it was now in the proper position. All you can see of Nemo is his little leg stretching further and further out from beneath the blanket as he pushes harder to move the log to its new position. The video came online in the wee hours of the morning and had honors when I woke up being one of the top favorites of the day. Yay! Here's the link if you'd like to see my superman turtle, click here.

I can see it now. Nemo The Un-Turtle video series. Of course that would mean a camcorder, video editing software, and a learning curve. Okay, maybe a thought for retirement. Have been home on medical leave since the end of June and return to work mid-September. The only energy I have when I get home is to sit on the floor and tell Nemo about my day before crashing on the sofa.

I am thankful for this time off--even if not for a fun reason--because having full time with Nemo has allowed for a new comfort level for him. I would have missed many entertaining moments if I'd been at work. How would I have learned he loves toasted bagel and prosciutto "bugs"? Being the un-turtle, he won't have anything to do with real turtle food and it is obviously beneath him to succumb to eating an insect. He does like his low fat dog food though which has all kinds of meat in it. Dog food is for turtle owners who can't deal with feeding bugs. lol. That would be me. But I found myself hunting juicy whatevers in the garden to bring him thinking he would be thrilled. Not! Bugs fulfill a turtle's need for protein. One day I was making my own sandwich of prosciutto and provolone on a toasted bagel when I decided I would roll up a tiny piece of the ham into the shape of a fat fly. He loved it! Now he has bug treats. Who knew he'd also like toasted bagel bits?

If that weren't strange enough, he comes out of deep hiding if he smells chicken being cooked. Think about that...where in the wild do turtles have chicken barbeques?! His dog food is chicken flavored and small pieces of white chicken are considered a turtle favorite so there is one thing turtle about him. But knowing when chicken is being cooked and waiting for it to be served is another matter.

P.S. It is later in the day and a freebie YouTube soundtrack has been added to Nemo's video which has also now earned two honors for the day! I need something tangible to hang on the refrigerator to thoroughly display my pride.

No comments: